Developing digipaks and homepages for Idea 3

For this idea, I looked at the original album cover by Sticky Fingers for their album Land Of Pleasure.

This album cover matches the vintage and retro style of the music video and website. The colour scheme of the red and white contrast fill the design. Furthermore, the yellow title is a good size: it is not overwhelming the cover or tucked away in the corner. As the photo shows the lead singer on the cover, this act appears to be more constructed than the my previous ideas. I think this suits the reggae style of the music, as its upbeat, silly and fun.
  I would like to keep with the retro style for my digipak. I like the idea of a burst of colours and patterns, like Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto, or have the digipak look like a cartoon. 

 I particularly love Capital Cities' In a Tidal Wave of Mystery album cover. It's silly and fun, with a vintage style. The colours blend together really well, and theres a lot of action in the design. To take inspiration from this cover, I like the idea of the bursting colours while keeping that retro theme. 

Furthermore, when I found the Sticky Fingers website, it is not what I expected. The band's conventions are ridiculous and funny, whilst their website is neat and minimal. I was surprised by this as this is not what I thought Sticky Fingers to be. I therefore personally don't like their website, as it breaks away from the conventions an audience receives from the video and digipak.


So I began looking at some other websites, including Coldplay and Capital Cities.

With Capital Cities website, there was a lot more information displayed on the front page, with bursts of colour and text. This is what I expected more of Sticky Fingers website to be, and how I would have my website design for my idea.




Furthermore, Coldplay's website is less colourful than the others. It's overall colour is black with pops of colour scattered around. However, I like the random placings of little drawings and text around the page. All the colours are drawn together as they are distributed around the entire page. The information also looks more randomly placed, rather than having a minimal design. This is more silly and fun than Sticky Finger's official design.

If I were to make a website for this campaign, it would be bursting with colours shown on the digipak. The whole theme will be a raggae retro themed to match the star image of Sticky Fingers. I would display information and sales about the artist as they are more synthetic and constructed than my previous ideas. I would also have the page filled with information and features to connote a sense of silliness.

Tags:

Share:

0 comments